Posted by: vlbyers | September 25, 2009

Leaving SF and on to Monterey

September 19, 2009

We are here in Monterey, sailed in yesterday with 8-16 k winds. After the beating and the sail shredding we did last time we all made some agreements about reefing early (thanks Tom-advice well given). So we reefed the main with about 15k of wind and rolled in the jib. We also were able to work with the windvane and hurray it seems to be working!! It was such a wonderful sail, in the sun, no fog, shorts and tee shirts for part of it, and no major failures it was a boost in the arm for all of us!  We even sailed by a otter laying on its back eating something, very cute. Also saw some more white sided dolphins on our way. Larry says ‘it feels like we are finally in California!’ Andrew misses the barking seals (yeah right) but he will adjust I’m sure.  

Today it is foggy. We got up and put the bikes together and the 3 of us with the 2 bikes loaded the dinghy down pretty well, I am sure we were a sight. At least we dropped the bag of trash off last night.  Larry and I are exploring the city by bike, there is a jazz festival that we would like to check out at the fairgrounds. From here it is 17 miles around the bend to Carmel on what looks to be a beautiful bike trail all along the coast, Andrew took off to do that today, Larry and I thought we would do the trek tomorrow since it is still foggy and chilly and we have some computer work (updating the blog :), sending post cards to grandkids, and bills to pay(drat they don’t go away!)

September 17, 2009

San Francisco was very fun and exciting. We spent our last night in an anchorage at Angel Island. After paying the 30.00 per night fee we were pretty disappointed, a little anxious about our next leg and tired so we ended up not really exploring the island much. We also wanted to get an early start and still had to check the post office for mail in Tiburon. Everything was lagged down, bikes were stowed and tanks empty or filled, depending on what they needed, we picked up our mail and headed out of the Bay.

We left San Francisco on the 14th under power due to pretty heavy fog under the GG Bridge. We had a rather uneventful trip mostly motoring to Half Moon Bay. Half moon bay is pretty, lots of room to anchor in about 10 feet and very calm and quiet except for the horn on the buoy that sounds every 10 seconds. Looks like it would be an interesting little town to poke around in but we wanted to get to Monterrey Bay and the weather said we had a day or so before some harsher weather was to come in.

We left after breakfast the next morning for Monterrey Bay, the forecast was for 10-20 k winds and pretty calm seas. About 1pm I made some lunch and we were still motoring with the main sail up, we had been having anywhere from 3-8 k of wind all morning and were wishing we would have something consistent to sail with. I laid down to nap for a few minutes and when I awoke the boys were busily pulling sheets and setting sails. ‘The wind is up hu?’ I said, ‘yeah about 15-18 k’ said Andrew, ‘Great!’. I came out to the cockpit we were sailing along pretty well at 8 k, the waves looked like they were kicking up and the swell looked bigger to me than what had been forecasted.

We put a reef in the main about 30 minutes later, we had 20+k winds and increasing. We thought about putting in another and before we could really get it together we were having 25-30k winds. Well maybe it will be short lived, everytime I looked at the wind meter I kept thinking that it was calming down. After another 30 min Larry and I fought to drop the main while Andrew struggled to keep us into the wind. The wind was so strong on the jib that we couldn’t get it pulled in and the wind was ripping it to shreads. After the main was down we headed off the wind to ease the pressure on the jib sail so we could furl it in, Of course the lines were tangled and caught up in our preventer line also, after untangling the mess the jib was rolled up.

We were about 10 miles out of Monterrey Bay so we motored the last bit, discussing how our latest adventure had gone. We had too much sail up for too long, the wind really picked up quicker than we realized and caught us off guard-maybe we won’t be so relaxed next time.

The anchorage here is right by the pier and we hear the barking of the California grey seals. It is pretty protected but we still get some surge and that makes the boat rocky and rolly. After taking down the tattered sail we hoisted our other jib, it is slightly smaller and newer too. Along with replacing the sail we noticed there were some wear spots in the halyard and the sheet of the jib so we cut and whipped the ends and retied the sheets.When we are in port for a few days I will take out the old sail and make repairs so we have a spare.  We went to Santa Cruz today walked along the beach the amusement park and the pier. Larry and I stopped for some appetizers for the happy hour price at one of the pier restaurants, Andrew hoofed it into town to look for the local library.

Today was going to be the shower day-we all needed one badly after being doused by waves during our dealings with the high winds yesterday. The marina was full and required rafting onto another boat and paying moorage fees to use the shower facilities two things I felt were not worth the effort. After we were done with sightseeing we came back to the boat. I had filled the sunshower with water earlier and took advantage of the slightly warmer water to shower(who am I kidding it was cold!). I am sure we would have been a sight showering in the cockpit but we are now all fresh and clean.

Tomorrow we plan to go to Monterrey for a few days. We’ll check the weather tonight but it should be an easy sail across the bay. Sweet dreams to all. Vicki

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: